Augusta Stone Church, 1749-1922, dedicated January 22, 1749 : Augusta Stone Church (enlarged), dedicated January 22, 1922.

Dublin Core

Title

Augusta Stone Church, 1749-1922, dedicated January 22, 1749 : Augusta Stone Church (enlarged), dedicated January 22, 1922.

Subject

Presbyterians--Virginia--Augusta County.

Description

Program of Worship, January 22, 1922.

Publisher

Augusta Stone Church

Date

1922

Rights

Public domain

Format

[4] p. : ill. ; 23 cm.

Language

English

Type

Text

Identifier

H Flat File 1:6 Au4s

Coverage

Augusta County, Va.

Text Item Type Metadata

Text

Program of Worship
January 22, 1922
11 o’clock a. m.

Piano Prelude
Doxology
Invocation
Anthem By A. M. A. Chorus
Hymn 213
Scripture Reading
Prayer
Hymn 567
Announcements and Communications
Offering
Sermon Rev. Alexander Sprunt, D. D.
Prayer of Dedication By Pastor
Hymn 531
Benediction

Augusta Stone Church
(ENLARGED)
Dedicated January 22, 1922
The enlargement of Augusta Stone Church was not prompted by sentimental reasons— for sentiment naturally pulled in the opposite direction; and not by ostentation—that is not the characteristic of the descendants of unprotentious forbears. Certainly it was not prompted by a desire to dispose of surplus wealth—that not being necessary in the country church at present—but entirely by an imperative need for Sunday school equipment and to meet the needs of enlarged hopes and efforts for expansion and development, so characteristic of all aggressive, forward-looking churches of today.

That the people have co-operated by their faith and prayers with the wise, tactful, and faithful building committee is evidenced by the building you cccupy today, Messrs. Edward McKim McCue, chairman, J. F. Brooks, T. J. Roller, Millard Johnson, and J. M. McCue being the committee, Major C. S. Roller, Jr., chairman of finance committee, and Jno. D. Palmer treasurer of building fund.

This enlarged equipment means enlarged responsibility upon the church for better service to the immediate community; its two outposts, Bezetha and New Hope, and a deepening of our interest in the work of the church at large, and especially in our two representatives at the front, Miss See in Brazil, and Mr. Gilliam in Africa.

Organization

Pastor Jno. B. Gordon

SESSION
Peter H. See, Clerk
Edward McK. McCue R. C. Byers
W. A. McCutchan J. A. Crawford
J. W. Calhoun Frank McCue

BOARD OF DEACONS
J. F. Brooks, Chairman
J. C. McCue M.F. Johnson
John D. Palmer, Treas. I. W. Whitmer
T. J. White, Sec. S. C. Byers
R. S. Sites

SABBATH SCHOOL
Supt. Richard S. Sites Secretary Wallace McCutchan
Asst. Supt. Major C. S. Roller Treasurer Miss Mayme Sites

WOMAN’S AUXILIARY
Pres. Mrs. C. S. Roller, Jr. Secretary Mrs. Jno. B. Gordon
Vice-Pres. Mrs. Frank McCue Treasurer Miss Bessie See

LAYMEN’S ASSOCIATION
Pres. Edward McK. McCue Secretary Major C. S. Roller, Jr.
Vice-Pres. Peter H. See Treasurer S. H. Parkins

TRUSTEES OF CHURCH
Present Board of Deacons, and R. C. Byers, S. H. Parkins, Major C. S. Roller, Jr., P. H. See.

Augusta Stone Church
1749-1922
Dedicated January 22, 1749

There is no record of the length of time our forefathers were engaged in building the Old Stone Church. Under conditions then existing, it possibly took several years to collect the material and fashion it into such a building. The stones and timbers used were, likely, secured at no great distance from the site chosen for the building. Tradition says the sand for the mortar was carried by the women, on pack horses, several miles; not over good roads, but over rugged and ungraded bridle-paths. The work was well done, and the mortar became almost as hard as the stones it bound together. The church was completed and the dedication took place January 22, 1749, just one hundred and seventy-three years ago. Augusta Church has had ten pastors—the first four pastorates covering a period of one hundred and twenty years. Rev. John Craig was pastor from 1740-1774. Rev. William Wilson from 1780-1810. Rev. Conrad Speece from 1813 to 1836. Rev. William Brown from 1836-1860, Rev. F. W. Bowman from 1861-1868. Rev. I. W. K. Handy from 1870-1878. Rev. Alexander Sprunt from 1879-1885. Rev. G. L. Bitzer from 1885-1889. Rev. J. N. Van Devanter from 1891-1917. Rev. John B. Gordon from 1917 to the present time.

Original Format

program

Date Digital

2015-03-13

Digital Format

application/pdf/a

Social Bookmarking